DRAGON DREAMING FESTIVAL 2009

Party & Festival Reviews from around the country.
70 posts Page 1 of 3
D-Psyfa

Wow!! The party looked fu*king awesome....great job by Servants of Sound, R.E.G.E.N, E.P.P and all others involved.

That venue rocks...easy to find, good road, heaps of shade, wicked decor, really comfy chill and market area.

Sun Control Species and Dylan Griffin sets were killa!

Great to see so many familiar faces make the trip to Canberra for this even though the weather was not the nicest!!

Thanks so much Pauly & Tilla for letting me crash at yours (I'm too much of a cranky whinging bastard to endure the cold & wet for 2 days straight)

Thanks again to all the crews involved.....can't wait to see how this one evolves next year :D
tinyavian

as a first time doof, i had a wicked time. nods and knuffles to the new people i have met. can't wait for the next one. loved sunrunner's stuff.
dranged

I demand photos!!
Aneurysm

So awesome.

Fracas, Nezbit, Sun Control Species - I <3 you :)

Mark
venatrix

:rainbow: magic :rainbow:
gher

Great stuff. Definitely one of the most family-friendly doofs I've been to in a long time. Can't quite get my head around why half the punters seemed to have disappeared around 3am Sunday.
Zentient

Yup, great party. It was so nice to see so many beautiful and familiar faces, and the vibe at the main stage was particularly brilliant. I really enjoyed the fire twirling and drumming performance on Saturday night, and the chai at PsyBus cafe was insanely delicious. My main standout thrill however, was Merkaba's set: so tribal, so earthy, so danceable, so freaking good! What a talented artist.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the beauty of the festival, organisers and punters alike. Looking forward to next year's installment!
D-ANgel and Elliott

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: DRAGON DREAMING =DOUBLE DELICIOUS!:)* IT WAS THE BEST DOOF EVER (along with regrowth/psyfari)- -- what a magical creation in the forest!!The effort and attention to decor detail really was something lush. A visual feast that has had me on a high since we left.....Loved the crystal tent and chill space**Awesome meeting so many raw loving souls as well as all the familiar faces and dancing oh my god dancing was the best...many shapes, spirits, movements busting out the funk on the dancefloor -- Sun Control Species and Mitchy rocked my world!:)* :dj: Jeannie your set was awesome-shine on sista and my fav of course >>>>Merkaba<<<<....woah you have tunes that give mindgasms over and over! :atom:
I am so glad i made the trek to be part of such as crazy event that encapsulated true doof spirit!:)*
See you next year for sure.
Lix and vibes :)*
Pete_Paranoid

I'm not going to say I had a good time, I didn't. Between Wednesday when I arrived and Tuesday evening when I left I had one hour enjoyment. The rest I was working or bullshit. The organisation of power distribution to the Air Dragon stage was severely lacking.
(With the lighting I bought especially for the event and transportation I got no money.)

fnarky

/\ But you gave so much joy to so many. :wink:
Many thanks to all the crew and contributors :killah:

It was a wonderful, uplifting party :D
spangk

I had a great Dragon Dreaming thanks all involved. So much work and I for pne appreciated it. Best energy I felt at every stage all around me... yummy food, loads of little rugrats... magic magic everywhere! See ya's at Monster Mash ;~)))
(woooot) xx nezbit

ps's...thanks for the love Aneurysm :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
It was nice to meet you too Tinyavian, i did forget to ask what that means??? little pilot?
Incongruous

yes yes yes. Excellent party all round really. Really well organised.

Highlight moments for me were the air stage (great sound, decor and location), awesome sets from Meltdown, Tarik, Fahad, Haig and Raffi at the end, Operon was also pretty cool. Firetwirling and tribal drumming on sat night was cool. The crystal temple had a nice vibe and I loved the mad little workshop school with the mini chairs. Big thanks to the double decker bus stall for just pumping out sik coffee and soups etc all weekend, and the pizza stall rocked also. Nice way to heat up when things got a bit cold and recharge for another dancing session.

Energy was consistently positive. Usually I go to a doof expecting to have some moments of positivity and some of negativity but this time round even my lowest point was slightly positive. Totally awesome. Had fun contributing in my own way with a set on the Sunday morning and a workshop on Sunday afternoon. Great to catch up with lots of friends, be social, laugh my ass off, be back in nature and listen to awesome music, as well as view lots of great art and decor. I really needed that event to get me out of the daily grind, and I feel considerably more positive coming back to work life having had the experience.
ionized

That was surely a rocking party. A fuckload of people there and everyone seemed incredibly well behaved. Much love to all my friends and those random encounters that made it exceptional. I was pretty sad that I got to watch Parra get trounced by Melbourne in the Grand Final at some caravan right down at the end of Hippy Lane... (and I mean waaay down the end... middle of nowhere...) ... Three cheers for pure sine wave converters and solar power either way.

All the stalls, the crystal dome and bookshop especially, were cool places to hang out and pour over pretty things. I was handed the most amazing book I think I've ever come across. Not what you expect at a doof. Music was rocking at all times. Fracas was rocking out as usual. Akin sounded amazing and those two boys from canberra... cant remember what they were called.... sounded very solid anyway.

Huge thanks Regen, EPP and Servants for keeping a solid NSW/ACT festival going in these unexplored times.
Darkchild

great w/end :) was great to meet so many friendly folks and catch up with older friends :) joutta..gabby..mike..bronwyn..danielle..michael..jen..monica and everyone else's name i forgot! heaps nice meeting u and thank u all for the great positive energy and smiles :)
all the stages looked great and all the sets i heard were awesome :thumb: all the stalls delivered nicely too :)
big ups to the crews and every single person for contributing and making it a special w/end :)
thank u all for sharing the love and look forward to next years gathering :love:
BigSpoon

Totally awesome weekend indeed!

The weather was a tad lame but it didn't deter anyone!
Was great to be with dear friends, catch up with old ones, and meet so many new faces also! The book shop was indeed a great place to be. I had much fun there and really enjoyed the company of its staff and friends!

I'm in the process of uploading photos to smackbook, so anyone who wants to see them can hit that up if they feel so inclined!

Once again, a very awesome party! I can't wait till next year and I hope I see everyone long before then! :D
timbo82

i agree it was a very pretty party and the best bunch of people ive partied with, its just a shame about all the rules. No dogs, no fires have to wear shoes cant have your own initiative to put hay on the muddy dancefloor and most of all tell the authorities to fuck off and have the music at a level that you can fully enjoy it.i thought the first night was the quiet night. pay the fine and be done with it. thats the reason i go to the bush. any first time doofers get out there and travel to other doofs and you'll have your mind blown like mine. 30 mins from a city isn't far enough it's just lazy. if they have the party at that site again the organisers are mad. i walked to the gate and after about 5 mins of walking the only sound i could hear was the birds. and whoever was in charge of the fires should of been sacked piss poor effort could of been alot better and not have broken the rules.
Physical Body

its nice to say what you did and dint like about the doof but i think if you didnt like something um....put up suggestions how to do it better...its a co-creational community, that is only as strong as its contributers and there ideas on how to improve systems.....

I had a wonderful time, and thank the limited crew for all there hard work. truely a magical party, and i would say...one of the more magic parties on the circuit...rainbows magic but its getting just a little to big and to mainstream and expensive...this was a quality party delievered at good ticket value...and the sound levels i thought were excellent nice sustainable hearing levels....for some of us that have been doofing for years and know what consistant exposure to loud noise can do to our hearing over time.

perfect doof 10/10

lots of love light joy and laughter and thank you everyone
Ju-Ju

timbo82 wrote :
i agree it was a very pretty party and the best bunch of people ive partied with, its just a shame about all the rules. No dogs, no fires have to wear shoes cant have your own initiative to put hay on the muddy dancefloor and most of all tell the authorities to fuck off and have the music at a level that you can fully enjoy it.i thought the first night was the quiet night. pay the fine and be done with it. thats the reason i go to the bush. any first time doofers get out there and travel to other doofs and you'll have your mind blown like mine. 30 mins from a city isn't far enough it's just lazy. if they have the party at that site again the organisers are mad. i walked to the gate and after about 5 mins of walking the only sound i could hear was the birds. and whoever was in charge of the fires should of been sacked piss poor effort could of been alot better and not have broken the rules.

geebus bitch an moan. That party was almost as gud as Cairns Winter Solstice and that pretty much tops my cake of all parties!
I was having such a good time that even getting egged by random hilbillies in a drive by dual cab 4WD diddnt hamper my mood.

YES I GOT EGGED!! at first i thought they just threw something at me to be c*nts but then i looked down and cracked up.
who were these imbosiles. I really didnt care but really ? how immature. im wondering if they were even from the party or just canberra bogans that snuk through the gate for a mischef lap. They were hooning past freak street camping area yelling out .

fave sets Orphea, Bumble, SUnrunner, Merkaba, Wunpointzero (devo I missed Benza)

And Greg you are the Dragon master. i fell in love with that Air Dragon with her cute glowy pot belly egg and her purple sparkly eyes! Oh so pretty.

Thankyou everyone !!!
Servants of Sound.

timbo82 wrote :

When we were organising this event we had a number of extremely difficult requirements thown at us by the authorities. We where faced with three choices, cancel the event, break the rules or try and satisfy the requirements whilst still delivering a quality well run event. We chose the latter. It was the hardest path to follow and I believe best.

You say pay the fine. We where prepared to pay the fine but being fined means we prove the authorities right. That our community is incapable of having an event and doing what is required. I think we are better than that. I believe that doofing is a valid activity that should be embraced by society. That is why I personally do it. To inspire people in the way I was inspired myself a few years ago.

30 minutes from the city is not lazy. It means we can attract people to experience the magic that would not normally think it worth to try. This means we will inspire new people to join our lifestyle and our community. We achieved that last weekend. Of the 1600 people we had through the gates I would say 1/3rd of them never attended a doof before and most of them will be back. This is only good for the scene.

I have spent today talking with the EPA, the Police, ACT Forestries and emergency services. They have all given us really postive feedback about last weekends event. I also have in my posession 50 hours of sound recording logs that prove that we can abide by whatever rules they throw at us. This gives us alot of power in future negotiations with the authorities, it makes it much more difficult to prevent us from doing what we love and I believe this is a positive outcome for the scene as a whole.

Life is a game of give and take, of balance. What you are suggesting timbo sounds all take.

Lastly, we really want to thank everyone that made the effort, embraced with the rules and the weather and made last weekend to increadible experience that is was. Your love and wellwishes have rejuvinated a tired crew that now just want to deliver a better experience next year.
exhibit_k

Servants of Sound. wrote :
timbo82 wrote :

When we were organising this event we had a number of extremely difficult requirements thown at us by the authorities. We where faced with three choices, cancel the event, break the rules or try and satisfy the requirements whilst still delivering a quality well run event. We chose the latter. It was the hardest path to follow and I believe best.

You say pay the fine. We where prepared to pay the fine but being fined means we prove the authorities right. That our community is incapable of having an event and doing what is required. I think we are better than that. I believe that doofing is a valid activity that should be embraced by society. That is why I personally do it. To inspire people in the way I was inspired myself a few years ago.

30 minutes from the city is not lazy. It means we can attract people to experience the magic that would not normally think it worth to try. This means we will inspire new people to join our lifestyle and our community. We achieved that last weekend. Of the 1600 people we had through the gates I would say 1/3rd of them never attended a doof before and most of them will be back. This is only good for the scene.

I have spent today talking with the EPA, the Police, ACT Forestries and emergency services. They have all given us really postive feedback about last weekends event. I also have in my posession 50 hours of sound recording logs that prove that we can abide by whatever rules they throw at us. This gives us alot of power in future negotiations with the authorities, it makes it much more difficult to prevent us from doing what we love and I believe this is a positive outcome for the scene as a whole.

Life is a game of give and take, of balance. What you are suggesting timbo sounds all take.

Lastly, we really want to thank everyone that made the effort, put up with the rules and the weather and made last weekend to increadible experience that is was. Your love and wellwishes have rejuvinated a tired crew that now just want to deliver a better experience next year.

yep. and not only that, when we formed servants of sound (sos), we pledged to prove to the world that doofers don't have to hide and do things in secret just because we lead an alternative lifestyle. we decided to prove to the world that everyone who contributes in the doofing world are doing so in a professional manner which is worthy of anyone else in the universe!! from our projections, lighting and sound engineers, to the dancers and performers, the volunteers, the artisans selling their handmade crafts in the market village, to the djs and producers playing their sets. these people and the skills they possess and bring to our events are just as VALID as anyone else in the world!!

for this reason sos, regen and epp decided to put on a doof legally - in order to show others that it can be done, and that WE CAN SUCCEED - no matter what - in an environment created in society where rules and laws are imposed on us. AND WE DID IT TOO.

on the flipside, obeying others' rules and laws means we are demonstrating that we can be respectful of others' rules too. this is important regardless of whether you are helping a doof brother or simply respecting a complete stranger's rules. it's about showing and leading the way (and from my experience in the doof culture this is an important belief).

the gate was 7 km from the festival site, so it's no surprise that you couldn't hear much as you walked towards it. that was our objective and we achieved it. as for the authorities, you weren't there beside me when we had to meet with them and explain ourselves, what our event was about (or that it was a valid event) or to negotiate a suitable outcome. nor were you there when the event was actually cancelled on a number of occasions by the authorities and using our quick thinking and talking we got things back on track. you weren't there when we all thought it was lost and we had no energy (and let me tell you there was a lot of nervous breakdowns and tears between us all!!). lastly, you weren't there beside me when i picked up the rubbish you dumped before leaving the site (all 4.5 tonnes of it) today.

but that's ok - i'll do it again because i love the cause and i love seeing the happiness in everyone's smiles.

it's all well and good and to criticise from the safety of hiding behind your own PC at home timbo82. why don't you meet me in person to tell me how things can be done better, or better still, do them for me so i may learn and improve. i'll be waiting for your message.
exhibit_k

did i mention that i did all these things for nothing? no money what so ever.

just because i love doofing.
VJ DAMAGE

timbo82 wrote :
cant have your own initiative to put hay on the muddy dancefloor and most of all tell the authorities to fuck off

Always good to see the big picture. Those bloody haystacks represented hours and hours and hours of research and planning and calculations. They were sound dampeners to attenuate audio emitting from the rear of the speaker stacks, geddit?

Besides that.... who pulls out a bale from the BOTTOM of a stack collapsing the whole thing??????

And
Personally, I don't feel the need to tell anyone to fuck off in order to have fun.
"Fuck the Police" is so 1980's.

Magical party. thanks everyone. I could go on and on, but I have a van to unpack.

xxx
sharron
BigSpoon

Regarding garbage, I have to apologise for leaving ours behind. We sorted trash from recycling, had it all bagged up, and were fully prepared to take it with us... that is until we quite literally could not fit it in our car!

I felt terrible because I was grumbling to myself and to my girlfriend about people leaving it behind all day as they left the site. Though to be fair their cars all seemed to have visible room in the back seats... my car was FULL. Not entirely sure how we ended up with less space in the car on the way home.

Anyways. this is perhaps not a great justification, but in any case, I'd just like to apologise. I really believe if it CAN be taken with you then you should take it with you! 4.5 tons is A LOT of waste left behind! I really hope you all had an easy way to handle it, and didn't have to take it in cars over many many trips. :(

OK so this thread needs some pictures. So here's some of my favorites:
Pete_Paranoid

timbo82 wrote :
30 mins from a city isn't far enough it's just lazy.

Very close to dry hirers to replace any broken, drenched or forgotten equipment.
The locality of the site actually made it easier to manage on this particular occasion.
FRACAS

Super collab effort by all the crews that put this on ....SOS, Regen And EPP :killah: :killah:
Apart from the moistness that seemed to come and go the site was really cool, too expansive to check the whole place out, and luv the pine forest location...
Having only one night of music was a bit different, but gave everyone a bit sleepy time and seemed to focus the night time energy for the remainder of the festival..
Opening ceremony was interesting, very nice talk about the intention of the festival, followed by a laughter workshop. The laughter workshop was very interesting with a massive crowd following the instructors moves without question ...."very good ....very good ....YYYAAAAYYYY" , i was lost at the point of shaking hands with someone through our legs in the bum to bum position.. :?: ..although it was extremely funny .....i laughed (which i gather was the point of the exercise).... :D
As far as music goes there was some really good programming... Stand outs :Orphea , Hedonix, SCS (slick as bro), just caught some of Merkaba but it going tribal as and very cool, and of course Raffi and Haig to finish ...Somehow i got lost in the woods when Reality pixie and Terrafractyl were on but im sure they would have brought the goods...
Hail on Monday arvo was weird , covered the tent in ice, but cleaned my car FTW....
Cant wait till the next installment , good vibe , good times , great people..
70 posts Page 1 of 3