Fractal Storm

Party & Festival Reviews from around the country.
49 posts Page 2 of 2
Trip_Stalker

I FOUND THE GUY WHO WENT MISSING , he reckoned he was kidnapped by the bikers so i drove him to windsor police station , fuckin weird :shock:
ATREYU

mrbadgerman wrote :
moog wrote :
so many good young crew are now writing such huge music and are able to perform it in live sets, (which i would rather see any day over some old DJ).

no way mate! a dj with a collection of some of the worlds best tunes ever made by the best artists from the birth of trance up to modern day psytrance is a way more interesting set than some local kid on ableton trying to copy the legends that pioneered the sound.... unless you're a REALLY talented artist, stick to dj sets.

Im not talking about some local kid. Im talking about signed artists, producing tunes getting released by the day. Let me tell you something, DJing is easy! VERY EASY! In the psy scene you will never get a paid gig just being a dj. Anyone can get hold of famous psy music and mix it, i reckon at least half the people i know can pull off a decent set. Plus the feed from a sound card can produce way higher audio quality than cd's, and a lot of old pioneering psytrance does not hold a dance floor anymore. With new production technology coming out constantly, mastering sound quality have become a lot more consistent. Write ya tunes or fuck off and play the 1st set for 10people, and don't whinge when your not paid.

Djing may b easy, but good taste is hard to come by. Personally i don't care whether its Live or DJ, as long as the tunes are rocking. + If there were no dj's, who would buy all the Live artists music? They cannot live without each other, its a symbiotic relationship.
traveller

Trip_Stalker wrote :
I FOUND THE GUY WHO WENT MISSING , he reckoned he was kidnapped by the bikers so i drove him to windsor police station , fuckin weird :shock:

yeah fark that was a bit hectic im glad you found him dude!
those quad biker locals were heaps dodgy...
moog

mrbadgerman wrote :
moog wrote :
so many good young crew are now writing such huge music and are able to perform it in live sets, (which i would rather see any day over some old DJ).

no way mate! a dj with a collection of some of the worlds best tunes ever made by the best artists from the birth of trance up to modern day psytrance is a way more interesting set than some local kid on ableton trying to copy the legends that pioneered the sound.... unless you're a REALLY talented artist, stick to dj sets.

Im not talking about some local kid. Im talking about signed artists, producing tunes getting released by the day. Let me tell you something, DJing is easy! VERY EASY! In the psy scene you will never get a paid gig just being a dj. Anyone can get hold of famous psy music and mix it, i reckon at least half the people i know can pull off a decent set. Plus the feed from a sound card can produce way higher audio quality than cd's, and a lot of old pioneering psytrance does not hold a dance floor anymore. With new production technology coming out constantly, mastering sound quality have become a lot more consistent. Write ya tunes or fuck off and play the 1st set for 10people, and don't whinge when your not paid.

just because an artist is signed with a label doesn't mean the music he/she makes is any good. in fact i'd say 90% of the shit being churned out is booooooooring.
beat mixing 2 cd's together is easy. but there's a lot more to it mate. what's hard is selecting GOOD MUSIC where each track is it's own little trip and the set is the journey. most psy today (especially live sets) is so generic that the music doesn't take you anywhere. there's no story to it or emotion in it. a good dj will take you on a psychedelic rollercoaster ride.
thats just total bullshit about the audio card. any decent quality label will go to a sound engineer and get their tunes mastered properly in a studio with equipment worth tens, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars. there's more to mastering than just making it loud through a little audio card on a lap top.
alien trancesistor

i agree with atreyu here....but y there is so much of disrespect going on here...where is the whole psy trance culture of P.LU.R ??just respect both djs and artists both of them are equally good in there own way u just cant compare them..wht most of the djs can do cant be done by a good artist behind the decks and vice versa.. but that dosent mean only artists are the best behid decks and dj are the best behind the decks:)respect guys

peace...peace..and more peace...

:)
kayhat

I usually find that I like DJs music better most of the time at parties these days, as they can select the awesomeness, instead of submitting you to just their work.
mrbadgerman

moog wrote :

just because an artist is signed with a label doesn't mean the music he/she makes is any good. in fact i'd say 90% of the shit being churned out is booooooooring.
beat mixing 2 cd's together is easy. but there's a lot more to it mate. what's hard is selecting GOOD MUSIC where each track is it's own little trip and the set is the journey. most psy today (especially live sets) is so generic that the music doesn't take you anywhere. there's no story to it or emotion in it. a good dj will take you on a psychedelic rollercoaster ride.
thats just total bullshit about the audio card. any decent quality label will go to a sound engineer and get their tunes mastered properly in a studio with equipment worth tens, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars. there's more to mastering than just making it loud through a little audio card on a lap top.

Bitrate. Cd's can only be of so high a quality. A computer can produce a higher bitrate of sound, so if you master a track it will have a better output from computer than cd, any decent artist will either be mastering people's tunes already for cd's and probably geting paid, or otherwise they will have someone doing it for them to cd production standard. Im not saying i don't like DJ's i still only dj myself, but this psysprouts sounds like a complete fuckwit about it. It's only because he's acting as though because he can mix a good set promoters should be bashing at his door to get him to play. I love DJing and playing my favorite selection of tunes, but it's still easy, good Dj's are a dime a dozen, i think i could fill about 10day worth of line up with solid dj sets that would cost nothing. And sorry it's not my fault if you watch shit artist, mayby go to some good parties?
herbsandspices

For what it's worth I've always enjoyed your sets when I've heard them Sprouts.

On the funny side of DJing, over here in the Czech Republic, going rate for a 1-2 hour local DJ set at a commercial party is $17 Au and some beer IF it's a paid gig. It's a big set fee if you can get $20. Internationals sometimes get offered $30, max $60. Yeah, haven't seen many internationals lately. :lol:
rollyz

herbsandspices wrote :
For what it's worth I've always enjoyed your sets when I've heard them Sprouts.

On the funny side of DJing, over here in the Czech Republic, going rate for a 1-2 hour local DJ set at a commercial party is $17 Au and some beer IF it's a paid gig. It's a big set fee if you can get $20. Internationals sometimes get offered $30, max $60. Yeah, haven't seen many internationals lately. :lol:

Wow, thats the way to set the new stanadrd. At that price all DJs can be paid :)
STEVONOISEMAKER

herbsandspices wrote :
over here in the Czech Republic, going rate for a 1-2 hour local DJ set at a commercial party is $17 Au and some beer IF it's a paid gig. It's a big set fee if you can get $20.

But hey! On the bright side, you could prob buy 10 beers with $17 over there.

So kinda the same as getting paid $50 for a set here if we talk beermoney :)
guide dogs association

omnava25 wrote :
its all about the 5k to 8k ratio, if you cut the high frequancy's and boost the mids and feel the bass, you to can mix like psy sprout, it's a state of being you get from being a loser for so many years, and mixing psy instead of getting a job, go back to wherever you were psy sprout! :lol:

For starters. I dont cut anything. The correct term is trim. And I trim the mids (not boost) along with the treble Cutting is to drop out the frequency band altogether. Modern djs cut the bass on the incoming track to the detriment of sound quality. I do occasionally, but only when running out of time and have to dig into my troubleshooting kit to get thru a difficult changeover.

Djs playing a track with the eq flat only began when mixers with a dual eq appeared on the market.
And it is WRONG. It is inferior to trimming each individual track. There are a lot of variables involved.
From the writers ear and accoustic environment, thru the producers studio and its own collection of variables, and on to the event with another lot of variables.
The only systems I boost anything, is on small hi-systems where I boost the bass.

I guarantee a 10 - 40% improvement in quality if u follow these basic steps on the dj mixer
1. Set master at 7 (out of 10)
2. Set the channel volume at 7 (out of 10)
3. Set the trim (gain) to 12 o'clock
4. Trim the highs and mids to balance overall sound. On very small systems boost the bass.
On big sytems some trimming of the bass may be necessary.
W'out this setup the db meter will be inaccurate. It could be running red, but not indicated accurately on the meter.

Allen and Heath produce probably the best mixers. They have included split mid and treble pods.
This allows the dj to trim The high mids (1k plus) but maintain those more subtle sounds in the low mids.

Also running any pa at a party w'out a broad graphic will damage it. There's no way to get a clean sound w'out it. And u need someone with experience to run it. This is where the whole frequency spectrum is trimmed. On a small pa u dont need to trim the bottom end very much.

A lot of fullon morning psy is badly produced with too much highs and mids. This I believe is due to the general personality type that makes this sort of music. They play way too much of it and consequently go tone deaf. In fact, check out the offshoot of Sun Project, Consequencer and listen to some masterful production. Crank it up.

Less is more is I believe, the most important fundamental principle to quality production.
mrbadgerman

guide dogs association wrote :
omnava25 wrote :
its all about the 5k to 8k ratio, if you cut the high frequancy's and boost the mids and feel the bass, you to can mix like psy sprout, it's a state of being you get from being a loser for so many years, and mixing psy instead of getting a job, go back to wherever you were psy sprout! :lol:

For starters. I dont cut anything. The correct term is trim. And I trim the mids (not boost) along with the treble Cutting is to drop out the frequency band altogether. Modern djs cut the bass on the incoming track to the detriment of sound quality. I do occasionally, but only when running out of time and have to dig into my troubleshooting kit to get thru a difficult changeover.

Djs playing a track with the eq flat only began when mixers with a dual eq appeared on the market.
And it is WRONG. It is inferior to trimming each individual track. There are a lot of variables involved.
From the writers ear and accoustic environment, thru the producers studio and its own collection of variables, and on to the event with another lot of variables.
The only systems I boost anything, is on small hi-systems where I boost the bass.

I guarantee a 10 - 40% improvement in quality if u follow these basic steps on the dj mixer
4. Trim the highs and mids to balance overall sound. On very small systems boost the bass.
W'out this setup the db meter will be inaccurate. It could be running red, but not indicated accurately on the meter.

Allen and Heath produce probably the best mixers. They have included split mid and treble pods.
This allows the dj to trim The high mids (1k plus) but maintain those more subtle sounds in the low mids.

Also running any pa at a party w'out a broad graphic will damage it. There's no way to get a clean sound w'out it. And u need someone with experience to run it. This is where the whole frequency spectrum is trimmed. On a small pa u dont need to trim the bottom end very much.

A lot of fullon morning psy is badly produced with too much highs and mids. This I believe is due to the general personality type that makes this sort of music. They play way too much of it and consequently go tone deaf. In fact, check out the offshoot of Sun Project, Consequencer and listen to some masterful production. Crank it up.

Less is more is I believe, the most important fundamental principle to quality production.

yeah except the problem it normally sounds completely different in the booth to what is does on the d floor hence your hearing booth monitors, hence their hearing 20k. Plus the master volume and eq you use doesn't mean shit, because the people who own the rig will no doubt of already tuned it and "trimed" the bits that need to be done permanently and boosted what needs to be done, because they will know how to make their shit sound good. Therefore any eq you do is at your own discretion, normally making a rig sound worse, so they'll jump back in the ops tent and re eq you so its the same as before ;)
omnava25

omnava25 wrote :

Less is more is I believe, the most important fundamental principle to quality productto speak aion.[/quote

no 1 every track has different headroom.
no 2 every brand of mixer is different.
no 3 if i put my master and gain on 7 each im sure my speakers would explode.
no 4 you only play with copied discs.(probably why you need the master and gain on 7).
no 5 you only wrote this so you sound like you know what your talking about.

and no , and im not comparing myself to you or competing, its just this post doesnt make sense
and im free enough ( unlike 90% of ppl on this forum) to speak my mind.
moog

omnava25 wrote :
omnava25 wrote :

Less is more is I believe, the most important fundamental principle to quality productto speak aion.[/quote

no 4 you only play with copied discs.(probably why you need the master and gain on 7).

and no , and im not comparing myself to you or competing, its just this post doesnt make sense

there's nothing worse than a dj who thinks they know everything and start fucking around with the amplifier settings!!
moog

BASICALLY, IF YOU'RE JUST PLAYING CD'S ON A GOOD QUALITY SMALL RIG LIKE OURS ,YOU DON'T NEED A FOH MIXER OR A GRAPHIC. ALL COMMERCIALLY PRODUCED CD'S WILL HAVE BEEN MIXED DOWN AND MASTERED ALREADY. ALL A DJ HAS TO DO IS MAKE SURE THE INPUT FROM THE DECK AND THE OUTPUT FROM THE MIXER ISN'T CLIPPING WHEN THEY'RE CUEING A TUNE. YOU CAN DO ALL THE STUFF YOU WANT WITH THE BASS MID AND TREBLE WHEN YOU'RE MIXING A CD BUT WHEN THE ACTUAL TUNE HAS BEEN MIXED IT'S BEST PLAYED WITH BASS MID AND TREBLE AT + - 0 ON THE MIXER. THATS HOW THE TUNE IS SUPPOSED TO SOUND! IF IT SOUNDS TOO OUT OF PLACE WITH THE PREVIOUS TUNE, IT'S THE DJ'S SELECTION OF MUSIC THAT'S THE PROBLEM. THERE'S NO WAY YOU SHOULD CUT ANY FREQUENCIES OUT. THEY SORT ALL THAT STUFF OUT WHEN THEY MIX DOWN THE TUNE AND MASTER IT.
guide dogs association

omnava25 wrote :
omnava25 wrote :

Sure, you may blow it up with the gain on 7. I said 12 o'clock.
And copies are nearly identical to original disc.
guide dogs association

moog wrote :
BASICALLY, IF YOU'RE JUST PLAYING CD'S ON A GOOD QUALITY SMALL RIG LIKE OURS ,YOU DON'T NEED A FOH MIXER OR A GRAPHIC. ALL COMMERCIALLY PRODUCED CD'S WILL HAVE BEEN MIXED DOWN AND MASTERED ALREADY. ALL A DJ HAS TO DO IS MAKE SURE THE INPUT FROM THE DECK AND THE OUTPUT FROM THE MIXER ISN'T CLIPPING WHEN THEY'RE CUEING A TUNE. YOU CAN DO ALL THE STUFF YOU WANT WITH THE BASS MID AND TREBLE WHEN YOU'RE MIXING A CD BUT WHEN THE ACTUAL TUNE HAS BEEN MIXED IT'S BEST PLAYED WITH BASS MID AND TREBLE AT + - 0 ON THE MIXER. THATS HOW THE TUNE IS SUPPOSED TO SOUND! IF IT SOUNDS TOO OUT OF PLACE WITH THE PREVIOUS TUNE, IT'S THE DJ'S SELECTION OF MUSIC THAT'S THE PROBLEM. THERE'S NO WAY YOU SHOULD CUT ANY FREQUENCIES OUT. THEY SORT ALL THAT STUFF OUT WHEN THEY MIX DOWN THE TUNE AND MASTER IT.

Size or quality of the rig is irrelevant. All rigs need a graphic.
At Fractal Storm I had both mid and treble at 9-10 o'clock. If there was a graphic they would be around 11 o'clock. Any complaints about the sound? But still room for improvement with a graphic.
And as i said, I dont cut anything. It is called trimming.
Ritchie_Jay

Here we go again.:roll:
Shapeshifters

moog wrote :

interesting concept if you come from a dictator state
Last edited by Shapeshifters on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
venatrix

moog wrote :

(I can't quite hear you)
Abuse

When we run the kv2 at newy parties, we find that if you always have both channel volume and master volume running at 1 orange light max, even just clipping to that orange light ..you are getting the best sound out of the system with the clearest frequencies..

if you run either the channel or master 2-3lights into the orange/red the subs will limit and you can definetly hear this, the sub will sound slightly distorted, if you dont run those levels high enough ie: 2 lights before orange, then your not letting all the good frequencies thru the system..

my 2 cents :alien:
Trip_Stalker

YEh i found that guy sylvester poor bastard just drove him to windsor police station , he woulda had a fuckin bad trip , but i hope he found his way to safety after windsor it was lucky we saw him. i think his friends were also waiting for him at windsor cop shop . fuck i hope they were but good fuckin doof , guys with those staffs and the fire , hectic stuff hope to see more of that at rhythmic earth , WHOS GOING? :bounce:
mkm

Trip_Stalker wrote :
YEh i found that guy sylvester poor bastard just drove him to windsor police station , he woulda had a fuckin bad trip , but i hope he found his way to safety after windsor it was lucky we saw him. i think his friends were also waiting for him at windsor cop shop . fuck i hope they were but good fuckin doof , guys with those staffs and the fire , hectic stuff hope to see more of that at rhythmic earth , WHOS GOING? :bounce:

One of them was my mate greg. Dont worry he will be at rhythmic.. cept he wont be bringing hes LED staff.. got stolen at bushed as 3 :(
rollyz

mkm wrote :
Trip_Stalker wrote :

One of them was my mate greg. Dont worry he will be at rhythmic.. cept he wont be bringing hes LED staff.. got stolen at bushed as 3 :(

Should have called the cops to find the theif. There were plenty of them there closing it down.
49 posts Page 2 of 2