Nautical, not!

Party & Festival Reviews from around the country.
18 posts Page 1 of 1
briandubb

Probably the worst one ever.

Only redeeming features were a couple of new tracks from Mr Peculiar which left me hanging for his new album. I was also lucky enough to be with a great crew of old and new friends and we took our rudely aborted party to a classic Sydney 24 hr pub in Pyrmont.

The night was summed up with the image of the sad promoter wringing his hand aka Richard Nixon...."It's not my fault". Just hugely out of his league. Seemed like a nice bloke but surely has to go back to "$15 at the tree" and get his shit together.

Soggy corn flakes.
herbsandspices

Hmm, what hapened? Was the party canned half way through?
briandubb

lights on, power to music abruptly cut off at 2am.
$50 for 45 minutes of Mr P and an hour of Olli.

these are the facts. If I say anymore it will turn into a whinge so I'll leave it there.

Better luck next time
sman

Not too fussed about the cruise being cut short... but when did the promoter know this, and why couldn't they reschedule so the headliners could play their full set?

Would rather have heard a set from Kierra Jade who was dropped rather than the cheesy club trance being played before MR P.
Ahavamour/Bryan

ok well... firstly to nic and alex, myslef and everyone that i knew on the boat had an amazing time. i think you guys did great considering the circumstances.
really dug dusty's and ollie's sets as usual, Nick, Dan and psyentific also had very good sets and tunes also. there was a little bit of everything for everybody. it was a great range of electronic/psy tunes in my eyes and ears.
loved the decore and the set up. was a really great idea.
shame that the numbers were not as high as wanted but it was still a decent turn out.
im sure mr. p played a little over his advertised set time and ollie i thought also played his full set (if anything would only have been cut a little short), but that was no fault of the promoters. they really have little say when the venue owners/managers dont want to run the event anymore. from what i have seen rarely does any sydney indoor event ever run the full advertised length. the last 6 or so i have been to have all been cut short by atleast a set.
all in all i know alot of people had a good time. so thanks again guys :alien:
sman

synthz

Ahhh had some loose times at the pyrmont bridge hotel bahahaha
herbsandspices

It's really interesting that multiple indoor gigs are being cut short.

What reason are the venue managers using for this (other than it's over peak bar period)?

Sounds to me like promoters should be taking them to task on their breach of contract. Whether they appreciate the music or not, both the promoter and the venue are supplying a commercial service to one another and the gig should run that way. Even if there's no particular term in a contract it's a breach of an implied warranty of fitness for purpose.

Its symptomatic of the attitude that has developed in Sydney over the last 10 years in that establishment (pub / club / venue) management are so divorced from the patrons that they view them as disposable.

In stark contrast the last 2 parties I have put on, I've tried in exhausted desperation to turn the lights on at 8am and cut the PA only for the venue owner to ask me what the hell I'm doing because 5 people are still buying beers. Sydney is eating itself and will implode in a dull thump of flouro coloured bad attitude soon.
venatrix

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that it's due to poor bar sales. If people aren't buying enough booze then the event is a financial liability for the venue owner/operator. Apart from losing money on the bar they are paying for bar staff, security personnel and other incidental staff to work and paying high rates due to the time of night/morning plus mundane things like electricity/air con/refridgeration etc.

For punters it's fucked, especially if your idea of a good night is a couple of drinks instead of getting absolutely slaughtered and leaving only when you have to chunder your guts up all over the bathroom/main street. Also if you're not a millionaire, and can afford to pay the obscene bar prices...

... for example:

I was at a small gig at the Factory Theatre a while ago - the cheapest alcoholic drink I could buy was a can of VB for $7. I shit you not.

I was at a trendy bar in Newtown a week or two ago and ordered the only brand of cider they sold. I coughed up $11.50 for it. The same bottle is sold across the road for $6.

I don't even think you can get a beer at the uni bar for under $6 and they only sell fucken Hahn.

Shitballs.
herbsandspices

Those drink prices are a cock-in-the eye. Wow things have gotten alot rougher over the last 2 years.

I drink at a local expat pub, it's a dive, but the delicious beer is $1.60 for half a litre stein.
If I'm at a party at a nice club its the outrageous $2.50 for a half litre stein of Pilsner Urquell.
rollyz

Don't worry, Fed Nile is in power now. Soon all pubs and clubs will have to be closed at midnight. Also seeing that it is reconised as law that more than 2 beers in one night is classed as binge drinking the early closing of venues is doing you all a favor.
STEVONOISEMAKER

I couldn’t make it to this, but thought I’d chuck in some ramblings…

Not all parties getting shut down early, but it is a common reoccurrence with psy nights.

A combination of factors play part in it really

-there are LOTS of psy parties on lately, plenty of doofs, and quite a few indoor nights, meaning numbers ain’t so high = bar sales not so good and it costs the venue money to stay open

-quite often you’ll find psy nights are held in venues that are not in areas with huge street traffic and random punters. This is good for us as we don’t want to mix with the douchebags you find in the cross and oxford st etc, but also bad, as these turds bump up bar sales in these areas, meaning even if a night doesn’t get enough punters from its own promo, the party can often be saved by the randoms who walk in off the street and buy booze.

-sydney sucks for going out. Not only for being expensive, but also for getting home. Often with indoor nights, half the people will leave early because they don’t want to miss the last train home…

As for contracts? Pfffft, I have not yet once had a contract with a venue when running a night. You’d have to harass them good n proper to get this I reckon, and unless they know you well, they would be very unwilling to provide this as there’s no guarantee you’ll get the numbers. Big venues offer contracts, but they also have booking fees for you to use the place. You’d have to either pay a fee, or have an amount on the bar that you can guarantee will be spent in order for the party to run til nice n late. Usually comes with a deposit that won’t get refunded if the bar doesn’t make enough. I’d imagine a boat may be different, but the operators of this one sound like they were pretty rude and dodgy and weren’t very helpful to the organisers…

a party like this one is always going to be a big risk. With a quality line up comes a solid price, plus flights etc, and depending on whether they’re friends of the promoter or not, you may also have to pay for accommodation, so already you gots some spending to do there.
That’s before any of the costs of the actual event too. A boat party usually has a venue fee, plus if you want it to sound and look nice you’ll need to pay for sound, lights, décor etc also. If there was a fee paid for the boat, then that is just downright rude that they shut it down early if the organisers have paid for a certain duration of boatin n partyin.

Boat parties are friggin awesome fun, but yeah, unless it’s a bday cruise, or a mega cheesy mainstream thingy, then you gotta get lucky to pull it off and survive without losing any moneys I reckon.

It’s an annoying situation really, as the more parties there are = the more people will get introduced to the scene and it will grow, in turn allowing BIG parties to happen in the future

But I dunno, I like the idea of lots of small, cheap or free parties happening to grow the scene, then in a few years time it will hopefully be big enough to support big feckoff lineups and massive productions:)

It might not grow. I may be totally wrong. But yeah, that’s my opinion.

As for you Nicholas! Curse you and your $0.32 czech beers, late opening clubs and relaxed party treat laws!

Blah blah blah /end jibba jabba
briandubb

It's a lot simpler than this thread.....

The party was not properly promoted. approx 50 people for Space Tribe on Sydney Harbour is absurd. Olli & Dusty provide a guaranteed good time, if only people knew about it. They could've easily filled that boat with 100-150 doofers and their mates.

From the opera, through classical, psy and the local folk club........promote or perish.
itchytriggerniggerfingers

Also add that there was an outdoor event on the same night with an international & slightly dodgy weather. That could have contributed to the reduced crowd numbers...
herbsandspices

STEVONOISEMAKER wrote :
As for contracts? Pfffft, I have not yet once had a contract with a venue when running a night. You’d have to harass them good n proper to get this I reckon, and unless they know you well, they would be very unwilling to provide this as there’s no guarantee you’ll get the numbers.
As for you Nicholas! Curse you and your $0.32 czech beers, late opening clubs and relaxed party treat laws!

This a good point!

It is a mistake to think that because you don't have a written signed document (preferably with a wax seal, olde englishe script and thumbprints) there is no contract in place. You can have a contract based on a chat and a handshake which is equally enforceable under the law (evidentiary issues aside).

All you would need to cause serious grief to a venue operator that shuts down a gig early, are for instance emails stating the intended length of the party and lineup, and the basic terms of the agreement. When providing a venue for entertainment, the length of the entertainment, and hence venue provision is an essential term. It's not as though you are gonna sue their pants off but what they are doing amounts to fraud and they shouldn't think that the dance music community is an easy target to rob. It amounts to a consumer rights issue.

So you say, "yeah but there's not that many venues and if we start causing problems they won't let psytrance back!" I say "So what. A thieving, early shutting venue is worse than no venue." I mean $50, for 1.75 hours of headliner- I'm suprised there was no keel hauling of the captain.

Anyway bro, when are we gonna catch up at Ozora, you can translate for us. More paprika please. PS have you seen the lineup this year its nonsense-good.
venatrix

herbsandspices wrote :
So you say, "yeah but there's not that many venues and if we start causing problems they won't let psytrance back!" I say "So what. A thieving, early shutting venue is worse than no venue." I mean $50, for 1.75 hours of headliner- I'm suprised there was no keel hauling of the captain.

I think we've found our solution!

PS I would also like some paprika. Smoky sexy paprika.
STEVONOISEMAKER

aaah herbnspicy, i didn't even think about that, an email from venue owner could indeed kinda serve as a contract if they specify how lnog you can use the place.

and argh, i wish i could get myself over for ozora, too broke at moment, and will be for a while, but very much need to sort my shiz out n get over there with ya:)
hillbilly-farm-boy

So disappointed this wasn't a 100% success, i do think though that the majority of the psy scene punters are doofers. Also vast majority of doofers don't like city parties due to the control and rules and lack of being able to do their own thing when and how they want, thats why they doof.

I really wanted to see Space tribe again and been hanging to see psyentific for a a while too. But i just couldn't go cos i just cant stomach city parties any more and a party on a boat seems to me even worse.

I think doofers like cheap fun, outside with the freedom to do what they like when they like too. This just aint achievable on a boat.
18 posts Page 1 of 1