Steinberg

Music Production, Hardware, Software, Equipment, MIDI, Techniques, Equipment for Sale etc.
15 posts Page 1 of 1
Barbarian

I can get a copy of cubasis (v?) for $250.00. have never used it before- plus don't know what is in this package, but sounds good.
Is it worth it, or do i save my bucks and keep learning buzz/tracking?

Dreamthief

Cubase 5 is woefully outdated.

You may want to look into SX/2. They are the most current ones, and would probably have the greatest userbase to get support from.

SX3 has been released, or is slated for release very soon, so you should start to see a steady migration from here on to that as well.

solconnection

Buzz tracker can definately be used professionally

ie.
Shaman uses buzz tracker
James Holden uses buzz tracker

both have stupidly good production.
its not what you use but how you use it.

The best thing about buzz tracker is its wide range of strange native buzz FX and synths available that you just cant get on any of the big sequencing giants (logic/cubase/sonar) you can also use high quality VST instruments and effects with buzz as well as it having midi support so in essance you have more options for sound mangling and generation than cubase.

I used to use buzz tracker and loved it, then i moved to reason+logic (rewired) and have been using that for a couple of years now but am thinking very strongly of going back to buzz because of its sheer ability for interesting experimentation.

Also trackers (such as buzz's matilde tracker) are a good way to load multiple .wav samples and play them back at any pitch...vst samplers, such as kontact i find more clumsy for the purpose and use alot of CPU overhead just to play one sample, with buzz it is a pleasure to use multiple samples in interesting melodic ways. The fact that you can so easily numerically set paramaters such as veocity and cutoff snapped to each step in buzz, once you get used to entering params as hex values instead of drawing them with a mouse alows for so much more control...of course you can still record param automation from external midi if that kind of experession is called for.

on top of everything Buzz is free :)

just some thoughts to consider before shelling out big bucks for something you might not really need

have a nice day
-Dan

gotica

reson 2.5 cubase sx2 and frutiy loops 4.5 is all u need mate but cubase is a not a very simple program to make music with its complex program i lernd cubase for about a year in universty and i dont now evrthing about it kapish
if u have coustions e-mail me bye

Barbarian

hey, yeah we got acid and some other progs at uni here, but i hate to think about what happens to my songs copyright if i make it here...
Buzz is going real well, it crashes sometimes, but is awesome for free! (if you's get it and learn to figure it out, load up the templates - it saves a lot of messing about!)

i been learning music most of my life - been in school bands, lived the wanna-be grunge scene for a bit. learned brass, guitars (even had a bass for a while!), some reed/woodwind and had a keyboard at home growing up. I just need the time to do it!

virul3nt

Mmm, I've never used Buzz but a mate of mine swears by it - particularly for live use. Sounds like it's solid as a rock. Must check it out...

gnostik

thenothing wrote :

Also trackers (such as buzz's matilde tracker) are a good way to load multiple .wav samples and play them back at any pitch...vst samplers, such as kontact i find more clumsy for the purpose and use alot of CPU overhead just to play one sample, with buzz it is a pleasure to use multiple samples in interesting melodic ways. The fact that you can so easily numerically set paramaters such as veocity and cutoff snapped to each step in buzz, once you get used to entering params as hex values instead of drawing them with a mouse alows for so much more control...of course you can still record param automation from external midi if that kind of experession is called for.

yeah i also started out on a tracker, and still love mucking around with psycle [free open source tracker similar to buzz, http://psycle.pastnotecut.org/ ] to come up with ideas...i love being able to use the computer keyboard as a midi input too, tho there are some vsts which let you do this too now, to lesser effect. the only thing is that its so much easier using visual automation curves ala the newer sequencers.

a new version 0.80 of skale tracker - a remake of fast tracker 2 with vst support and mixers and stuff [ http://www.skale.org/ ] - has been released recently, with the ability now to use the whole program as a vst, similar to floops. this means you can potentially use the tracker style pattern editor within another sequencer such as cubase/logic. this i think is a great combo, tho i havent tested it yet for cpu usage.

Barbarian

i used mad tracker 2 for a bit, not bad, and skale and i had a few issues with using the vsts on V.0.7x (THANX FOR TELLING ME V.8 IS OUT!!!!), but it is fully usable, with a mixer second to none (so far)! im glad i can go back to it. the only thing left is for me to configure it properly to my SB audigy card, cause i was getting horrid quality....
might give psycle a looksee too :twisted:

Dazd

Try Ableton Live!!! 4.0.3 is available as a demo download (save is disabled) from http://www.ableton.com/

I find it easier to get around than Cubase, and its a very simple program to use, also great for playing live (thus the name).
MIDI assigning is a breeze, and recording is straightforward.
Id spent months trying to get around cubase & logic before using this program. SO FAR i havent got anything negative to say about it.

Barbarian

he he he
what u hear, here we come!

solconnection

Dazd wrote :
Try Ableton Live!!! 4.0.3 is available as a demo download (save is disabled) from http://www.ableton.com/

I find it easier to get around than Cubase, and its a very simple program to use, also great for playing live (thus the name).
MIDI assigning is a breeze, and recording is straightforward.
Id spent months trying to get around cubase & logic before using this program. SO FAR i havent got anything negative to say about it.

I thought Live was only for sequencing loops?
how do you create the loops in the first place?

or is there more to it, ive never used it but only heard good things :)

have a nice day
Dan

Dazd

QUOTE: "I thought Live was only for sequencing loops?
how do you create the loops in the first place?"

Live does much more than swquence loops. Perhaps earlier versions were limited in the way u mention. U can load Vsti 's and create sounds/midi files or sequence straight off the synth. Then add an unlimited amount of Vst effects over the wav. sampled riff or midi sequence.

I really reccomend it and would like to hear from some more experienced artists what they think of the program. :D

Ritchie_Jay

Dazd wrote :
QUOTE: "I thought Live was only for sequencing loops?

Live does much more than swquence loops. Perhaps earlier versions were limited in the way u mention. U can load Vsti 's and create sounds/midi files or sequence straight off the synth. Then add an unlimited amount of Vst effects over the wav. sampled riff or midi sequence.

I really reccomend it and would like to hear from some more experienced artists what they think of the program. :D

For me not a replacement for Cubase but an addition just as is Reason and its fucking rocks.

If you were a DJ and or producer then get your head around Live. Has taken and is taking me a while to get a hang of as its a bit different to the others, but nothing for ages has made me constantly go - "fuck yeah" getting things going in it, especially when used in conjunction with the above-mentioned programs.

[fish]For DJ'ing its sure to signal the death of the CD only DJ. Bout time.[/fish]

Dreamthief

Is it cos I is black?
veil

quote="Dazd"]QUOTE: "I thought Live was only for sequencing loops?

I really reccomend it and would like to hear from some more experienced artists what they think of the program. :D[/quote]

ableton can be used as a rewire host so you can run reason or other rewireables through it as well as vst stuff and live recordings , plus you can rewire ableton itself thru cubase (ie rewire slave program) heaps of different ways to use it as well.

I'm currently working at a youth arts centre teaching people to use reason and cubase and trying to encourage them to get stuck into ableton and check it out as it is so versatile and a little easier to learn than cubase.

I think more software will be more like ableton in the coming years.

a person doing some amazing stuff with ableton is local artist Ben Frost, it isnt psytrance but more atmospheric stuff , amazing none the less and he gave a rad masterclass on using ableton live up here in newcastle during this years electrofringe and sound summit in october.

yay

v
15 posts Page 1 of 1