Suggest some good psybreaks?

General Music Discussion - Tracks, New Releases, Top 10 Track postings, Genre discussion etc
33 posts Page 1 of 2
LoveDuck

I'm kinda looking for clean and trippy psybreaks, but like, pretty phat too, ya know? Sorta mainfloor-style psybreaks... Does that even exist? most of the breaky sorta sounds I hear at partys are in the chill...

Thanks in advance :D

sensient tim

Tipper

Buckfunk 3000

Si Begg

Cold Fusion Mafia

Son of the Electric Ghost

Sensient (on vinyl soon!)

^^^^^^^^^^

Nothin to do with the psytrance scene but tripped up twisted shit nonetheless...

Satanstoenail

Yeah Si Begg rocks ------> http://www.sibegg.com/

Can't wait for more Sensient breaks as well.... :thumb:

tripn

check out a compilation called "pyrexia" on exogenic records. some of the tracks are pretty trippy. nice robotic pig noises and stuff on top of chunky breaks.

niium

Oh boy!!! I almost gave up on the availability of this genre. Psybreak is the penultimate conjunction of the pacey musical styles I love, but it seems pretty hard to obtain as far as I can tell. When I have asked people who to check for it, I usually end up finding something not at all like what I would call 'psybreak' (one of the necessary side-effects of an uncommon category). It sounds like you are after what I'm seeking loveduck - something rumbling and breakily driven with ultra squelch and trippy tweak and frequent 16th basslines as well as the mega bass-drones of drum and bass. Fuck yeah! I think I'm more alone in this fetish, but fuck I would be stoked if this shit became more popular.

If anyone knows of any psybreaks that is actually like a cross of psy and breaks and not techno-funk or something else, please do list them!!!

Get into it guys! It's the next biggest thing! (I wish).

Hypnos

An oldie but a goodie....Deviant Electronics - Blunt instruments.

Bit more chilled out Psybreaks..

I'm with niium on this one, if anyone knows of any others, would be stoked :)

reece

check this out.

theres some awesome psy-breaks out there,.... fkn hard 2 track down tho,....

Cyberwlf

I've had somewhat of an interest in this for years, but as reece said, fuckn hard to track down, and never seems to be much of it about.

phoney

Galactic Monkey

niium wrote :
Oh boy!!! I almost gave up on the availability of this genre. Psybreak is the penultimate conjunction of the pacey musical styles I love, but it seems pretty hard to obtain as far as I can tell. When I have asked people who to check for it, I usually end up finding something not at all like what I would call 'psybreak' (one of the necessary side-effects of an uncommon category). It sounds like you are after what I'm seeking loveduck - something rumbling and breakily driven with ultra squelch and trippy tweak and frequent 16th basslines as well as the mega bass-drones of drum and bass. Fuck yeah! I think I'm more alone in this fetish, but fuck I would be stoked if this shit became more popular.

If anyone knows of any psybreaks that is actually like a cross of psy and breaks and not techno-funk or something else, please do list them!!!

Get into it guys! It's the next biggest thing! (I wish).

You are not alone, psybrks r da bomb!

niium

Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions people have made. I have been sifting through a lot of it, not all of it, but have not really stumbled across anything that I would call particularly 'psybreaky'. Everything I have encountered is basically just breakbeat/dnb. Does the inclusion of a couple of extra synth stabs warrant the prefix of psy? (Cramming anything into categories necessarily simplifies and ignores variations in interpretation - I am not at all being critical of peoples suggestions of what is psybreak as it is completely up to them)
What I'm picturing is grab ya psytrance, leave the synth layers, leave the basslines, but take that relentless 4/4 kickdrum and replace it with break structured percussion. Has anyone heard of even one track like this?

spangk

Maybe try Cosmo, not particularly psy breaky but the odd bit i guess

Cyberwlf

Cosmo (and Highko and Highcosmos) is 'breaky' but in a fashion unlike the actual breaks genre.

Mad Different Methods (Naked Tourist) and Artifakts II (Artifakt) are some good albums which provide fusion/hybrid sounds.

simon

"elastic" - 21-3 record label . its got the awesome germinating seeds of doda track "upside din'" plus a few other good psybreaks

eat statc as well... um, i have some raiden tracks which are drumnbass with very heavy use of melodys which i guess makes it psy breaks.

LoveDuck

Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions people have made. I have been sifting through a lot of it, not all of it, but have not really stumbled across anything that I would call particularly 'psybreaky'. Everything I have encountered is basically just breakbeat/dnb. Does the inclusion of a couple of extra synth stabs warrant the prefix of psy? (Cramming anything into categories necessarily simplifies and ignores variations in interpretation - I am not at all being critical of peoples suggestions of what is psybreak as it is completely up to them)
What I'm picturing is grab ya psytrance, leave the synth layers, leave the basslines, but take that relentless 4/4 kickdrum and replace it with break structured percussion. Has anyone heard of even one track like this?

yeah yeah, psytrance structure, but with nice clean breakbeats. I find most breaks/dnb way too "angry". I really can't imagine achieving satori at your standard dnb gig;). production-wise, maybe reprogram the sidechaining to not distort the bass and reprogram the synths to fit around the breaks too... hmm... *runs off to play with fls*

flurohero

yow get a time machine ,ten years ago you had "ray castle","ab didge","sibliant"-"germinating seeds of doda","namm shub of enki","masa","gondwana","brain pilot","missed cannon","dark fader","deviant elektroniks".

im afraid the "funk" has been a bit bred out these days<i think breakslicing is a bit harder on contemporary sequencers<or producrs are more boring?>

tripn

^^^ nam shub of enki are still around. they played at a byron bay doof last month and released an album about a year ago.

bobret the hobret

word up to tipper - saw him a coupla years back at earl of fnord and must say twas solid : )

flurohero

yeah ,tipper is pretty freakey electro,he got a lot of freakey squeeky squiggle spazm noises on top of choking solid bass.there is diagram in one of their albums of a dodge challenger they made two of <left,right> for a tour of america with hydraulic jacked 8k sub woofers in the boot.

i forgot also "rippie van hippy" on the psy breaks list.

damn right

.. can't believe no one has mentioned Mood Deluxe! On Liquid records (UK) he has literally made the psybreaks genre his own in my opinion. His album Tangent Universe has everything you are looking for and more.
Also check out Far Too Loud, Rex and the newer stuff from Slackbaba and R4GE.

On a similar note, we run a psybreaks night in the UK called Delta Connection (www.deltaconnection.co.uk) and was looking for similar nights in Aus.. anyone know of any good ones?

Gora

"FLEXITONES"

raptor

Check out one of Ben ET's sets.. his has the whole psybreaks thing going on in a big way! :dj:

tripn

also check out andy page. awesome twisted psybreaks with great use of effects.

Hypnos

niium wrote :

Heya niium, I hear ya man. I'll second Far Too Loud. They are fantastic.

http://www.myspace.com/fartooloud
http://www.fartooloud.com/

Seriously can't get enough.

doofboy

Raptor wrote :
Check out one of Ben ET's sets.. his has the whole psybreaks thing going on in a big way! :dj:

Boom!
33 posts Page 1 of 2