Tips for the DJ?

Discussion & News about DJ's & Artists
29 posts Page 1 of 2
Luminous Lights

Anyone have any tips for a new dj?
I know the first one, "YOUR CD'S DO HAVE LEGS!":P

Cyberwlf

Yeah.... Practice, then practice some more, and once you've done that do it again!

Also find a sound that really does it for you and get as much of it as possible to play with

psyllium

#1 - Track Choice
#2 - Don't make it sound too shit just for the sake of having a mix
#3 - There is always a stage when you have to just give up and do a crossfade or a cut... the crowd will thank you for it :)

Cyberwlf

I think #2 is acceptable for someone starting out and playing to an audience of one, you gotta learn by fucking up and then learning from those mistakes, so the more mistakes the better!

psyllium

Cyberwlf wrote :
I think #2 is acceptable for someone starting out and playing to an audience of one, you gotta learn by fucking up and then learning from those mistakes, so the more mistakes the better!

Yeah actually I agree with you on that one ... I suppose I was thinking more in a performance situation :)

Oh yeah and another tip - catalogue your music with ratings and brief descriptions of the sound... you never know when you need to whip out a particular track. Don't write in texta on the CDs cos you can't see that through the CD player... paper inserts in front of the CD in a wallet works the best for me.

The Journey Man Project

If you can just photocopy the back cover with the tracklist or the dj insert and write over that ;)

SLappa dj wallets are the best!

The Journey Man Project

oh and have some fun!

Cyberwlf

I wish i was better organised with my notes, it makes it harder to find details as i put all my notes onto pieces of random paper which i then have to find if i want to refer to things i dont otherwise remember! I do keep telling myself i'll get around to organising my notes but it hasn't quite happened yet! :P

Eukali

General tips:
Watch out that 2 basslines (of each track) don't become a conflicting muddy mess...
Watch that the mids and highs don't combine to become ear piercing or harsh
This could be more an element of individual style, than something to take note of, but I reduce EQs where an adjustment is needed - and only ever push them above 0 to increase impact of a particular sound...probably depends on what music you're playing.
Always keep your music collection in good condition, and well organised and labelled.
Know your tunes.
CDs are everywhere, vinyl is expensive but beautiful and will always be my preferred medium to mix. But vinyl is prone to all kinds of hazards outdoors - so if you're wanting to play at doofs, go CDs.
When I started learning to DJ, I'd record a set at home and listen to it in the car. You can analyse your mixing/track selection, etc from much more of a listener perspective that way.

Things to think about before the set:
What sort of set do you want to play?
What is the most appropriate energy (music) for the time and place?
Who's playing before & after - can you be complimentary to their styles while still playing a set that represents yours?
Over-all musical programming intent for the event

Things to think about during the set:
Track selection (probably the most important aspect - bad mixing can be ignored if the flow of energy is well received.
Playing volume (louder is not always better - listener comfort = listener enjoyment - and don't push the levels so much the sound comes out distorted, unless that's what you're going for, I guess!)
Crowd response (don't exhaust people but don't bore them either - find a good flow of energy and attitude)

An old track can still be a good track. And buy new music every week or fortnight, even if it's only a couple of tracks. It keeps things interesting and continues your musical evolution!
When you get bored of DJing, start writing your own music!

2c right there.... :)

Eukali

Oh - and having a sense of humour with catastrophes is always good. DJing is all about having fun and sharing that fun with other people!

S.E.T.H

Kill yourselves!!!!

Luminous Lights

All I know is if you want something you have to work for it. People will instantly reply, "No, you don't!" and I will reply "ok, maybe you don't, but I do!"

Thank you S.E.T.H, please keep your faith!

The Journey Man Project

Eukali wrote :
Oh - and having a sense of humour with catastrophes is always good. DJing is all about having fun and sharing that fun with other people!

Yuh like the time a certain well known proggi dj in Europe at a fesitval I was at accidentally ejected the disc that was plying insteadof th eone he had faded out :lol:

the look on his face was priceless :lol: poor dude, but he just put it back in and carried on like a trooper 8)

spangk

Have at least one cool mxing buddy. That's one thing i don't anymore, miss it and we traded fun as well as knowledge :)

SpeakaHuggers

smile :D

SpeakaHuggers

make sure your wearing pants.

play TRYAMBAKA.

The Journey Man Project

Always accept a BJ under the dex ;)

KOKIDOO

for me is to listen to music ...and love the tracks!!! love so much that u wanna share!!! then u start listen , feelin n visaulize the whole 15-20 tracks 1 after anothers....sounds , story , movements, frequencies all the possible outcome ...and ofcoz Magic !!!
..if there the story is working for u and u do love that story to be tell to others ....then u start to learn alls digital equipments and technics ...
the most important things is your ears !! what you hear?? also go to lots of doofs!!! and understanding what is djing n doof! is all about?
but yea!! if u love the tracks so so much!!! your only going to share a wicked vibes and u will be so happy behind the desk .... :wink:
happy to shared!!!!

Ritchie_Jay

The Journey Man Project wrote :

Well I think that depends on what BJ stands for ......

SpeakaHuggers

if you happen to be getting a bj under the decks....

smile :lol:

play TRYAMBAKA :twisted:

The Journey Man Project

Ritchie_Jay wrote :
The Journey Man Project wrote :

Well I think that depends on what BJ stands for ......

Blow job 8)

Luminous Lights

That's nice, but back on topic!

Luminous Lights

yeah ok, so I sound like a wanker, but if I showed you how much goes into one lighting show you'd freak!

tripy

Forget about everything :)
Just play the right track at the right time
Even if u suck u will be a hero

Luminous Lights

Thanks tripy, still remember your tunes from Regrowth party! They are etched on my skull!
29 posts Page 1 of 2