Laser show damages eyesight of over 30 music fans at concert

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
68 posts Page 1 of 3
atmospsypherica

MOSCOW, July 14 (RIA Novosti) - Over 30 people, who attended an open air music festival near Moscow in early July, have suffered eyesight damage with doctors fearing the effect could be permanent, Kommersant daily reported on Monday.

The Aquamarine Festival was held near the town of Vladimir, around 170 km (106 miles) east of Moscow on July 5. People started seeking medical assistance on July 7 complaining of aching eyes and eyesight loss.

"Usually, laser beams at such concerts are directed into the air. But it was raining heavily and the organizers had to stretch a canopy over the dance floor, and the [laser] beam at times fell below the canopy," one of the victims was quoted by Kommersant as saying.

A doctor told Kommersant that many of the victims, aged between 16 and 30, who sought medical treatment were suffering from burnt retinas.

Doctors say the "loss of eyesight is up to 80% in some cases" and for some of the victims "it will not be possible" to restore their eyesight.

Those affected by the laser have made complaints against the organizers. "The doctors must prove, that the injuries were caused only by the laser, and not by alcohol or, for instance, loud noise," one of the patients said, however.

Cosmic Connection, the concert organizer and promoter has been unavailable for comment.

The head of the EQ laser show firm, Valentin Vasilyev, however, called the incident "unprecedented" and told Kommersant that if a laser beam hit the retina, then the burn would be instantaneous and blamed poorly trained personnel and badly maintained equipment for such incidents.

But a DJ involved in music festivals said the firm that organized the concert had all the required health and safety certificates.
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20080714/113904499.html

video 2007 festival http://video.aol.com/video-detail/aquamarine/3824884793
Last edited by atmospsypherica on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psyllium

Those guys will no longer be reaching for the lasers... they'll be reaching for the optical prescriptions...

A bit scary don't you think!

atmospsypherica

This is a terrible thing. This means laser light could be used as a weapon and blind a whole mass of protesters or something like that. It just shows you how unaware the public are about the dangers that exists when attending a celebration etc - say new Years Eve Sydney. Or if some idiots hear about this and start pointing laser lights at traffic etc. If it's not one thing it's the next and its getting faster and faster...
http://au.messages.yahoo.com/news/oddlyenough/77268/

The Journey Man Project

never really trusted lazers... whats wrong with some good fluro painting and black lights

psy*clone

lol, being russian lasers i'm assuming they were something abnormally dangerous, possibly even manufactured in chernobyl in the early days.

DECRION DEE

The Journey Man Project wrote :
never really trusted lazers... whats wrong with some good fluro painting and black lights

Hahahahah wake up to ya self

The lasers at party’s you go to would only be a few milliwatts up to a few watts
And even if a larger power one hit you in the eye you would not go 80% blind

I have been hit in the eye many times while programming em which sux but my eyesight is excellent

What that stupid story don’t tell ya is there is different frequency lasers and some are safe and some are not in some country’s they use the dangerous ones which can be colours almost out of our visual range. They are fine but not for crowd scanning... they can be similar to the ones used in manufacturing.

So yeah don’t talk bout things you know nothing about

The green and red ones you’re used to will do you no harm.

Anyways lasers do more for man then you would ever know… there is no need to be frightened of pure light.

arcadian

DECRION DEE wrote :
Anyways lasers do more for man then you would ever know… there is no need to be frightened of pure light.

said the blind man.. who in fact could not.... see.. at.. night

so i should stare at the sun then?

sorry i am being stupid, but i wouldn't put it past Russia to not legislate the non-commercial use of lasers, therefor i think the claim that 30 people suffered from this affliction stands to still be possibly true. red ones a green ones aside

DECRION DEE

atmospsypherica wrote :
This is a terrible thing. This means laser light could be used as a weapon and blind a whole mass of protesters or something like that. It just shows you how unaware the public are about the dangers that exists when attending a celebration etc - say new Years Eve Sydney. Or if some idiots hear about this and start pointing laser lights at traffic etc. If it's not one thing it's the next and its getting faster and faster...
http://au.messages.yahoo.com/news/oddlyenough/77268/

thats old news the us army has lasers you cant see to blind troops on the ground over large areas..... nice ah?

how fucked up is that? you are there with ya gun gunna shoot an american and a u.s chopper goes over ya head.... next thing you now you are blind

wait till you get older you will want a lasers in ya eyes..

DECRION DEE

arcadian wrote :
DECRION DEE wrote :

said the blind man.. who in fact could not.... see.. at.. night

so i should stare at the sun then?

sorry i am being stupid, but i wouldn't put it past Russia to not legislate the non-commercial use of lasers, therefor i think the claim that 30 people suffered from this affliction stands to still be possibly true. red ones a green ones aside

no it would be true , but we we dont use em here. well i have seen one used here at a utopia... but like i said never on the crowd

they are prolly cheap ultra high power lasers that makes more of a beam of heat then a beam of light. they can look like a shitty brown colour

it would be true.. the dude running them maybe has no idea ...
Last edited by DECRION DEE on Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arcadian

its good to see your on top of things :)

Sunrunner

personally i'm not a huge fan of lasers at eye level... they look great in the trees or pointed up, but i hate looking up only to have the point of a laser shoot me in the eye ;)

DECRION DEE

Sunrunner wrote :
personally i'm not a huge fan of lasers at eye level... they look great in the trees or pointed up, but i hate looking up only to have the point of a laser shoot me in the eye ;)

Yeah true outdoors in the trees is great!

It sux right when a beam hits ya eye for a second as it goes past when your on the dance floor.

We did a few from the back of events so the beams hit the front and the djs etc ...was a good effect.

Plus you can use your mouse to move the beam on to the record styles so it heats up and the music sounds shit and everyone thinks the dj can’t mix...

jokes....

but depends on the event some ppl like em ...some cant stand em

atmospsypherica

I specifically searched the net for a news story on this that had more information then the unreliable newscorp version.

This section is interesting when you consider DECRION DEE's argument (sees the need to be heard in the user name being yelled -used of all Capital Letters)
Cosmic Connection, the concert organizer and promoter has been unavailable for comment.

The head of the EQ laser show firm, Valentin Vasilyev, however, called the incident "unprecedented" and told Kommersant that if a laser beam hit the retina, then the burn would be instantaneous and blamed poorly trained personnel and badly maintained equipment for such incidents.

But a DJ involved in music festivals said the firm that organized the concert had all the required health and safety certificates.

So according to Decrion Dee this person is fully aware of Russia's Workplace Health and Safety standards. Then if being the case should back up statements with facts and links. Sure there will be more to come from this story. But it is possible that Mesq (reality pixie) knows more about this and could of possibly been there. As he was in Russia at the time.

Pete_Paranoid

If you stopped playing such crap music we wouldn't need to use lasers.

atmospsypherica

Pete_Paranoid wrote :

Now I think I have cracked Pete's cryptic message. The video link to 2007 Aquamarine festival - yeh there is that horrible Euro(club dance) trance that they are all going nuts and gooey over. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete_Paranoid

atmospsypherica wrote :
Pete_Paranoid wrote :

Now I think I have cracked Pete's cryptic message. The video link to 2007 Aquamarine festival - yeh there is that horrible Euro(club dance) trance that they are all going nuts and gooey over. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Swap.

Pete_Paranoid

C'mon mr. hardcore Goa head, we are waiting for our light show.

The countdown stops in 20 years.

atmospsypherica

Pete_Paranoid wrote :
C'mon mr. hardcore Goa head, we are waiting for our light show.

The countdown stops in 20 years.

hey Pete maybe you should do a renegade on the north pylon on the Sydney Harbor Bridge :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pete_Paranoid

did it, try agian

tripn

where the hell is B-RAVE's post?

Pete_Paranoid

tripn wrote :

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=211hate

atmospsypherica

Pete_Paranoid wrote :
tripn wrote :

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=211hate

Pete's new security for his lighting equipment.

Pete_Paranoid

No, i don't need security, i have photos

atmospsypherica

Pete_Paranoid wrote :

everybody has photos. but what do you have photos of Pete? thanx just gave me a clue to find out more about this laser story. I can't read Russian but i'm sure they have a trance forum and maybe that is where there might be photos of this 2008 Aquamarine festival. It's been hard finding anything more on this. thanx Pete your a genius - your cryptic clues :lol:

Pete_Paranoid

atmospsypherica wrote :
Pete_Paranoid wrote :

everybody has photos. but what do you have photos of Pete? thanx just gave me a clue to find out more about this laser story. I can't read Russian but i'm sure they have a trance forum and maybe that is where there might be photos of this 2008 Aquamarine festival. It's been hard finding anything more on this. thanx Pete your a genius - your cryptic clues :lol:

I don't know you and you don't know me. So you don't call me Pete, my login is "Pete_Paranoid".

68 posts Page 1 of 3