Newbie Psy Trance.

General Discussion about the PsyTrance scene, way of life, etc.
50 posts Page 1 of 2
lia

Hey guys(and girls), I have just recently started to dwell into the world of psy trance and am looking for some essential tracks to download/purchase.
I love the song Vitality - Exaile and breakbeat stuff like that, can anyone suggest a VA album or something or other to get my teeth into.

Cheers
Lia.
herbsandspices

Um kinda not my thing, but perhaps with that sort of melodic stuff you could check out Azax Syndrom (playing at the upcoming psyfari), maybe Hydraglyph. Personally I am really enjoying Wizak Twizak's 'Space no More' album.

I saw Kundalini Project last night and he smashed it, though that is fairly dark style.
kayhat

Grab Lost Keys "faerie spell".

I reckon anything by record labels Zenon, Biosine, Sundance, Giiwa and Open are all great.

Support your aussie gear!

For some darker twisted shit, I can't get enough Psycovsky and Procs, they're the awesomeness.

Also try forest funk with faerie dragon recs, haltya, squaremeat and texas faggott
STEVONOISEMAKER

Hey hey Lia,

If you like exaile, I’d recommend any of these artists, each of which have loads of releases out and should be easy to get

Azax syndrom
Painkiller
Cpu
Beat hackers
Bliss
Eskimo
Lamat
Rinkadink

They’re all pretty much run of the mill full on psy, although they do still come up with good tunes. These guys are all pretty good to listen to for psy newbies. A bit boring to lots of people who have been into psy for a long time, but if you’re still just getting into it, they deliver plenty of surprises and crystal clear production and mastering for those trippy sounds:)
kayhat

A great garden path to go down if you're the type who likes to take the occasional snooze 8)
STEVONOISEMAKER

^^true, although considering the example given was exaile, which is pretty darn cheesy full-on, those artists may be more along the lines of what a newbie would get into.

i think it's a good path to start with the commercial and more generic stuff, cos then you'll hear the similarities between them, and at the same time realise what music is unique and creative.

alternatively, you could start a newbie off with loads of psykovsky, para halu, kindzaza, goa gil etc, then play them some skazi, and they might think "hey, this skazi is so different and unique and original!"

or not.

hehe and who doesn't enjoy a good snooze!
kayhat

I didn't start riding a bike on training wheels :wink:
herbsandspices

I did. Like many people I started listening to cheesy stuff- Deedrah, IM and astrix spring to mind. Much of dark psy is incomprehensible if you start there IMHO, in fact it took me years to appreciate it.
susan

hey lia saiko sounds is a good place to listen and/or buy,
the three/four minute samples of each track on an album
can give you a pretty good idea:
http://www.saikosounds.com/english
welcome to the fray :atom:
susan

herbsandspices wrote :
I did. Like many people I started listening to cheesy stuff- Deedrah, IM and astrix spring to mind. Much of dark psy is incomprehensible if you start there IMHO, in fact it took me years to appreciate it.

same. and many others i know would say so too.
kayhat

Hey, I said Lost Keys, didn't I? :P
herbsandspices

Some other stuff that is mid range sort of BPM that I have been enjoying lately includes Ital, Phatmatics and Frozen Ghost.
kayhat

What beat range is midrange for psytrance? 140?
lia

Hey guys thanks so much for your help I really like what you've showed me.
Also just give you a bit more of a concept of what tickles my fancy im a fanatic fan of DnB such as Aphrodite and Nero and love filthy dubstep so i have a pretty broad range of BPM that I enjoy. Aain many thanks, i'll hope to see you guys at Noise Poison :D

kayhat wrote :

Me neither :lol:
kayhat

lia wrote :
Also just give you a bit more of a concept of what tickles my fancy im a fanatic fan of DnB such as Aphrodite and Nero and love filthy dubstep...

kayhat wrote :

Me neither :lol:

We'll get along famously then :D

I reckon you would get some darker psy gear, as you "get" the idea of flow through things like aphrodite. You might want to check out some more breaksy twisted gear like texas faggott, but that gears a bit insane.

What dubstep you into? Would be able to tell you some killargh for that too.
Satori

Lia, check your pm's
lia

Cheers satori i'll makle sure i give your tracks a good listen as soon as i get home.

Kayhat i'm really into stuff like Friday Filth sessions, mixes by Skream Digital Mystikz and Mt Eden for chills.

Really appreciate the help guys!
kayhat

Ah K, you might want to check out some more hyperdub stuff thats come out recently then.

(lulz @ Satori sidelines, "hey, come over here in private so I can talk to you about the REALNESS" :P )
DimentiatronX

Space tribe is also good. He's the first artist i got into and i still love him now.
kayhat

Space tribes boring crap in my opinion.
Satori

kayhat wrote :
Ah K, you might want to check out some more hyperdub stuff thats come out recently then.

(lulz @ Satori sidelines, "hey, come over here in private so I can talk to you about the REALNESS" :P )

Whatever dickhead.
I sent Lia some links to download some of my music.
Is that alright with you?
kayhat

Satori wrote :
kayhat wrote :

Whatever dickhead.
I sent Lia some links to download some of my music.
Is that alright with you?

Sorry you're so tender, princess. Had a bad day at the office, darling?

I was just belatedly joking, sorry if it's the wrong time of month, sweetheart. You can go on with your sus little shenanigans now. You don't need to explain yourself to me, plumcake.

You say potato, I say spamata. Healthy music marketing oppurtunity, right? So tender and self-obsessed. You wanna massage to ease off that tension? :P
Satori

Why are you such a fuckwit?
Maybe you need to give up on the internet. You failed on Oztrance and your failing here.
And yes, it was a good opportunity to promote my music to someone who is just getting into psy.
What is wrong with promoting my art?
What makes me self obsessed?
Mindfreak

I don't see anything wrong with it satori, I sent Lia links to my tracks and got back some great feedback so seems like a good promotional tool to me
herbsandspices

Shit, for a while there I thought this was going to be a constructive thread reccommending some good psytrance to a newbie. Now the rulers and the dicks are on the table again.

Sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes I listen to Space Tribe. I still listen from time to time to IM The Supervisor even, though very rarely. Sometimes I listen to metal and folk and acid techno and dubstep and DnB. Everything has it's time and place. There seems to be some bullshit eliteism in Psytrance that if it isn't Psykovsky it's not good any more, but really it's just being a high horsed wanker.
50 posts Page 1 of 2