Winfarms bad for health...

Off Topic discussion. Use this board to discuss general, non PsyTrance related topics.
14 posts Page 1 of 1
itchytriggerniggerfingers

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/sick-residents-claim-wind-farm-torture/story-e6frfku0-1225872221814

Sick residents claim wind farm 'torture'

What are these? A SMALL group of wind farm opponents has mounted a protest on the steps of the Victorian Parliament, complaining of health problems caused by turbines.

The Waubra residents say the 128-turbine wind farm in their community causes sleep deprivation, headaches, high blood pressure and heart palpitations.

They formed a small rally on the steps of Parliament a week after the opposition announced its election policy for greater controls of wind farms.

Donald Thomas, 51, lives on a farm at Evansford about 3.5km from the nearest turbine in Waubra.

"We welcomed the wind farm when it came, thought it was a great thing for the area," he said.

"Having lived there for 12 months I see them now as nothing more than instruments of torture."

Mr Thomas said he suffers headaches, heart palpitations and high blood pressure. His parents, who live within 1km of the turbines, have the same symptoms and also suffer from sleep deprivation.

Mr Thomas has neighbours who have moved out or go elsewhere to sleep. He wants the turbines turned off at night or shut down.

"When the turbines don't go the symptoms go away. Simple as that," he said.

Noel Dean left his Waubra farm on advice from three medical practitioners. He said the turbulence they emit creates havoc on the human body and his symptoms still persist.

Opposition Leader Ted Baillieu last week pledged to ban wind farms from being built within 2km of homes and in growth corridors, national parks and tourist zones.

The government and industry have rejected the policy, which they say will kill the wind energy industry in Victoria.
Mr Baillieu said the opposition supports wind farms and the policy is about restoring balance between wind farm proponents and local communities.

Poor siting of turbines had divided communities and destroyed lives, he said.

"Our general proposition has been for a number of years that wind farms shouldn't go in sensitive landscapes and they shouldn't go where communities don't want them."
rollyz

Good, take them out and put in a coal fired power station there instead... then see how they will say, "oh no, put them back, we really were not sick at all.... :twisted:

rollyz wrote :
Good, take them out and put in a coal fired power station there instead... then see how they will say, "oh no, put them back, we really were not sick at all.... :twisted:

Rollyz, there is a growing list of health concerns attributed to wind farms.

My suggestion is move these people to Chernobyl & see if they complain then :lol:
venatrix

Move them to the city and see how they fare in the cdb!!!! lol
Marsoups

I wonder what the cause of all of this is...

Is this 'turbulance' they speak of a humming sound, perhaps the compression in the air and the shockwaves that cause discomfort... Perhaps the designs of the turbines could be improved to minimize this...

I guess 1km from a wind farm is a little bit close.. They should be on top of hills and away from where they can cause discomfort for people.
venatrix

Try living under the flight path!

Seriously though, it is curious that these people are having health problems from the wind farm.

But ffs Australia is a massive country, why would you put one near residential zones when there is so much spare land in the middle of nowhere?
speekeesy

There isn't much wind in the middle of nowhere- the best wind comes off the ocean.
venatrix

Fair point. I hear there's plenty of sun in the desert though... has the world given up on solar power?
herbsandspices

There are heaps of solar farms in Czech, like heaps. The government pay a reasonable amount to individuals to inject back to the grid, so farmers and shit are banging them up everywhere. Ugly fuckers though.

I was picking boletus and chantrelle musrooms recently, and only after a delicious soup and some scrambled eggs with them in did I realise that I was picking them right next to a nuclear facility. Guess that's why the locals didn't get them first. Delicious mushrooms though.

herbsandspices wrote :
There are heaps of solar farms in Czech, like heaps. The government pay a reasonable amount to individuals to inject back to the grid, so farmers and shit are banging them up everywhere. Ugly fuckers though.

Problem with that is that farmers are substituting land used for crops, further increasing the coming food crises that started when they hopped onto the ethanol bandwagon...

I was picking boletus and chantrelle musrooms recently, and only after a delicious soup and some scrambled eggs with them in did I realise that I was picking them right next to a nuclear facility. Guess that's why the locals didn't get them first. Delicious mushrooms though.

Get yaself a giger counter bro :lol:
venatrix

herbsandspices wrote :

Uh oh! If you grow a third eye pls send pics ;)
Kratonic

venatrix wrote :
Try living under the flight path!

Seriously though, it is curious that these people are having health problems from the wind farm.

But ffs Australia is a massive country, why would you put one near residential zones when there is so much spare land in the middle of nowhere?

Apart from the wind being better near the coast, you have to put them somewhere with access to the grid. They are only marginally viable at present anyway, and building many km of cable to get the power to where it's used won't help.
venatrix

What about WA? Biggest state in the country, and fuck all people living there. Perth is the size of a postage stamp (and less interesting).
Kratonic

To be honest I don't know much about the wind industry in WA. I do know that the wind resource in Australia is generally considered pretty average by world standards. My understanding is that the best conditions are thought to be in southern South Australia and Victoria. Having said that, there is a very large wind project in planning for Broken Hill (500+ turbines I think), so this is getting closer to your idea.
14 posts Page 1 of 1